Pages

Monday 23 July 2012

Brilliant touching horror/crime story...



I loved it! Not often do I read a horror/crime (I suppose it cuts across the two genres) story that is emotionally powerful and uplifting yet with an ultimately sad conclusion.Mark Sieber's world is turned upside down when he is seemingly captured by a group of kids ranging in age from 12-19. As the story unfolds Mark has a mission to deliver the kids back to their parents and kill the perpetrator "Grendel" who should inflict such horror pain and mutilation on those so innocent. The reader is with Mark all the way from the emotional reunion of those longs lost kids with their parents...to the killing of Grendel..and the destiny that falls the scarred and emotionally injured Christopher. The writing is very powerful and one scene in particular had me on the edge of my seat...Christopher and Mark are travelling in the van and Christopher is explaining to Mark how Grendel has managed to destroy all their lives...as he talks the speed of the van increases from 50...to...60...up to 100 miles per hour. At this point I could feel the tension as if lifted off the pages of the book and entered my mind it was one stand out moment amongst many in this tour de force story. This is my first Gary Braunbeck book and most certainly not my last, it has been a great introduction into the mind of a first class author, and I look forward to reading many more of his books in the weeks to come..I highly recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment